Skip to main content

Cardiff Bay




Heres the Bay pre-barrage in 1988, when it was pretty much a no-go area and a million miles from the tourist destination it is today.
_________________________________________________________________________










































































Comments

  1. These photos are lovely, particularly the first one - snow just seems to make the world that little bit more beautiful, don't you think? I recently visited Cardiff Bay, though I'd never been there before so couldn't make the comparison to its past. But I thought it was a fantastic place. I was staying in a serviced apartment in Cardiff city centre so was in the middle of everything. My friend went water skiing in the Bay and we even went to the Doctor Who exhibition (yes, we admit we're fans!) Well worth a visit though. I'd love to go to Cardiff again. Fern x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ray Cowles Motorcycles Pontypool

I've lived in South Wales for the best part of 25 years, and for the first few years lived near Pontypool. I used to drive past this shop every day on my way to work in Cardiff. I didn't have a bike license at the time, so it didn't much interest me - but it always struck me as looking as though it was lost in time. Roll on a quarter of a century and even though I don't live near it now, whenever I pass through Pontypool I've found myself taking the side road to see if its still there. I must have said to everyone a thousand times, "I've got to go and take a look" after all, surely it wont still be there next year.... So, at last, welcome to Ray Cowles Motorcycles of Pontypool. When I eventually popped in last week and told him my little story he laughed. It happens quite a lot apparently, people popping in to take pictures.He doesn't mind at all and says hes never been busier - apart from when he was a Honda main agent a few years back. (Hes ...

My Question for IS

Two things you're never meant to discuss in public - politics and religion. Well I've had a crack at politics recently and so hot on the heels of that, I have a question about religion. My little space on the internet is normally filled with holiday snaps, pictures of my latest car or a good moan about my football team. I never attempt anything particularly serious and actually I’m a bit worried about posting this – but if you’re reading it I guess I have. . I shouldn’t be worried. I live in the UK. I can say what I want and believe what I like so long as I don’t deliberately offend anyone or break any laws. That’s one of the best things about living here - generally speaking, despite all our faults, we usually rub along really well with our neighbours. We do, don’t we? So the question is: Why? I’m not a racist, or as far as I’m aware, not any sort of ’ist’. I guess I’m fundamentally a liberal. I try to see anyone’s point of view. I can see and...

When Northampton became new

The fabulous Mounts swimming pool where I did my mile - picture from the Architectural Review I was just reading about the ‘new’ bus station in Northampton being demolished and it reminded me that I lived in Northampton when it was built in the first place, having moved from its original location in Derngate. Similarly I remember the Chronicle and Echo building moving from the corner of the market square to its new location on the Mounts and now that's gone too along with the Chron itself which has sadly turned from a daily into a very poor weekly newspaper. This post is just a bit of a trip down memory lane for me about the time that I grew up in Northampton- during its transition from sleepy market town to 'Third Tier New town' in the late 60's and early 1970’s. To me during my childhood, Northampton meant the Mounts. The fire station where my dad took me on open days, the pool where I did most of my swimming certificates and much later on the police statio...